Once you’re first beginning your coding journey, deciding which programming language to study is among the first questions you’ll have to ask your self. There are plenty of programming languages on the market, and builders are inclined to have sturdy opinions about which languages they like (and dread) utilizing.
Stack Overflow, the neighborhood platform the place individuals ask and reply technical questions, surveyed greater than 70,000 builders final month to find out the applied sciences they use most, and take the tech workforce’s pulse on related points like productiveness and salaries.
The survey outcomes may encourage you to begin studying one thing new — or on the very least, affirm your private programming preferences.
The most well-liked programming languages of 2022
Curious what the hottest programming languages of 2022 are? Listed here are the highest 10 programming languages ranked by skilled builders and code fans — and begin studying them as we speak.
- HTML/CSS: The facility couple of net growth, HTML and CSS outline the construction and magnificence of net pages. Be taught them each with Construct a Web site with HTML, CSS, and GitHub Pages, or begin from the highest with the course Be taught HTML. To discover the breadth of what you are able to do with HTML/CSS, attempt certainly one of our Follow and Portfolio Tasks.
- SQL: If you happen to’re excited about information science, SQL is the info administration language used to question and manipulate information in a relational database. In our beginner-friendly talent path Knowledge Science Foundations, you’ll discover ways to use SQL to speak with information and get hands-on expertise working with datasets. You can too begin with Be taught SQL to get a fundamental understanding of the language and the way information impacts our world as we speak.
- Python: Individuals are inclined to dig Python as a result of its syntax is straightforward to know and it may be used for the whole lot from net growth and machine studying to information science and monetary evaluation. Be taught Python 3 is a stable introduction to Python programming. Or take your abilities a step additional with Get began with Machine Studying.
- Java: This old-school language remains to be used for Android app growth, net growth, recreation growth, sensible units, and extra. Be taught Java’s fundamentals and construct apply tasks in our introductory Java course.
- Bash/Shell: Linux and macOS builders might want to know this command-line interface shell program. Take a look at Be taught the Command Line first, then discover ways to automate duties with Be taught Bash Scripting.
- C#: The high-level language developed by Microsoft is used for net, recreation, and cellular app growth in addition to enterprise software program. Discover our C# programs to get a way of the merchandise you’ll be able to construct with C#, or begin writing code immediately with Be taught C#.
- C++: Builders use C++ for large-scale software program that depends on velocity and environment friendly reminiscence administration — like robotics, IoT units, and AR/VR. Leap in with our Be taught C++ course.
- PHP: PHP works with HTML to make web sites dynamic. In our course Be taught PHP, you’ll put your abilities to the check coding three completely different tasks.
The most well-liked programming languages for studying code
How to decide on the perfect programming language for you
Another cool findings from the brand new survey? Essentially the most-loved programming language amongst builders is Rust, with 86% of respondents saying they love utilizing the general-purpose programming language. (Maintain a watch out for our new course, Rust for Programmers, which is able to launch this summer time.) Rust and Python are the languages that builders wish to work with, however aren’t already, in response to the survey.
For extra in-depth findings, try the Stack Overflow Developer Survey right here.
It’s enjoyable to get an insider peek into what applied sciences individuals are utilizing as we speak, however keep in mind: You may’t go mistaken once you’re selecting a programming language to study. There’s probability that you just’ll encounter a handful of those languages as you progress as a developer and decide up new abilities that switch to different applied sciences. Plus, the tech panorama is at all times altering, so it’s in your finest curiosity to remain versatile and continue learning.